The Extension Associate provides educational leadership in the development, implementation, and evaluation of research based, integrative statewide Extension programs that meet the needs of limited-resource and socially-disadvantaged audiences. Delivers training and educational support materials for field staff and their clientele/customers in 4-H STEM, consistent with the philosophy, policy and overall mission, goals and educational objectives of the Cooperative Extension at North Carolina A&T. Specifically, this position coordinates and develops programs for K-12 youth within a designated cluster of counties (Wilson, Pitt, Nash, Edgecombe, Martin, Bertie, Hertford, Halifax, Beaufort, Washington and Warren) to increase skills and competencies in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) that are delivered in community based settings through Cooperative Extension at North Carolina A&T 4-H program and partnerships across the state. This position will be located in Vance County.
Primary Function of Organizational Unit:
Cooperative Extension at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University is an educational outreach organization within the College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences. Cooperative Extension at A&T provides researched-based educational information, programming and technical assistance to limited-resource audiences that address a diverse range of issues in four programmatic areas – Agriculture and Natural Resources, Family and Consumer Sciences, Community and Rural Development, and 4-H Youth Development. Together with its partners – North Carolina State University Extension, U.S. Department of Agriculture, state and county governments, a dynamic and resourceful system is formed. In addition to campus operations, The Cooperative Extension Program has professionally staffed offices in almost half of the 100 counties in North Carolina and the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians.
Internal job number: 009372
Requires masters degree from an accredited university in a scientific, engineering, or quantitative discipline; technical teacher education; or educational/instructional technology, computer science or other STEM disciplines.
· In-depth knowledge of state and national trends and relevant data supporting Extension program development for limited resource youth.
· Experience in the design and development of educational training materials for use in community based educational programming.
· Experience in planning, conducting and evaluation of extension or non-formal education programs.
· Evidence of strong interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team environment as well as independently.
· Demonstrated ability to engage youth from diverse audiences and settings.
· Ability to initiate and complete program and projects as outlined.
· Ability to interact and gain support from constituencies outside the university such as business and industry, state and federal agencies and non-profit and private foundations.
· Computer literacy (proficiency in MS Excel, PowerPoint and Office, etc.)
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to handle multiple demands and set priorities.
· Ability to travel 75% of time, including overnight stays and occasional weekends.
· Must be able to lift and carry training supplies, publications and equipment needed for training programs.
· Have car for travel in instances when a state vehicle may be unavailable and travel deemed necessary
Five or more years of professional experience in science education, STEM programs, youth development programming, curriculum development, or educational methods and evaluation.
Experience planning, implementing, marketing and evaluating educational programs for urban or limited resource youth delivered through 4-H.
Evidence of collaboration/coalition building with schools, youth serving organizations/agencies, institutions of higher education and the scientific community.
Experience in the design and development of educational training materials for use in community based educational programming.
You must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application.
Applicants seeking Veteran's Preference must attach a DD 214 form. Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty with your application during the process of applying to the job posting. Final candidates are subject to criminal and sex offender background checks.
North Carolina A&T State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
North Carolina A&T State University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. No one who applies or seeks employment will be denied admission to or employment at North Carolina A&T State University on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disabling condition, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or sexual orientation and sexual identity.
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University is one of the nation’s most highly respected doctoral research, land-grant institutions. With an enrollment of almost 11,000 students, we are committed to fulfilling our mission through exemplary undergraduate and graduate instruction, scholarly and creative research, and effective public service. As a member of the A&T family you will be an integral part of its history and future – joining more than 1,800 current faculty and staff. You will be expected to be a leader and mentor. You will influence the minds that will affect our world. As a change agent, you will use your intellect and influence to make a positive impact on the greater A&T community. A&T will be more than your job, it will become your passion—and that commitment to yourself and others will last a lifetime. Because that’s what Aggies Do!